What is Vehicle Status Change?
Sometimes under certain circumstances, the status of your vehicle could change depending on changes in mileage limit and gross weight. Certain instances are listed below:
- If you expect to use your vehicle for 5,000 miles or less during the tax period, your vehicle status will change from taxable vehicle to suspended vehicle and you can claim a tax suspension for the same. If the suspended vehicle exceeds the 5,000 miles limit during the tax period, the tax becomes due.
- If your taxable vehicle is destroyed, stolen, or sold, your vehicle status will no longer be taxable. You can claim credit for tax paid on the sold or stolen vehicle by filing your tax return, although you might have to wait until the end of tax period to make the claim.
- If the weight and mileage of vehicles changes, you can claim a tax refund by filing form 2290 amendment.
What happens when your vehicle status changes?
Depending on the status of your vehicle, you might be eligible to claim a tax refund or make extra tax payment to the IRS.
- If you own a suspended vehicle whose mileage is more than 5,000 miles (more than 7,500 miles for agricultural vehicles), then the status of your vehicle will change from suspended to taxable. Which means your vehicle will need to pay HVUT tax on the last day of the month after the month in which the mileage increased.
- If you own a taxable vehicle for which you’ve already paid the tax and if it gets destroyed or stolen, you can claim a tax refund from the IRS. You can file an amended return to the IRS and state the reason for filing the amendment along with any documents that you can provide to back up your claim. Once the IRS accepts your return, you will be issued a refund.
There are plenty of formalities while filing taxes for your heavy highway vehicle. Having detailed insight on vehicle status, category and taxable gross weight will immensely benefit you while making actionable decisions. For a simple and seamless tax filing experience, e-file your form with eFor2290. Be it vehicle suspension or filing amendments, we will steer you in the right direction, so you can get back on the road in no time!