What is Form 2290 Amended Return?
If you carry out any changes to a previously filed Form 2290 and file it again, it is called an amended return. A return is considered an amended return if you are:
Amended return for increase in taxable gross vehicle weight
You must file an amended return if there is an increase in the maximum load customarily carried as it leads to an increase in the taxable gross weight of your vehicle.
- When the taxable gross weight increases, the tax amount will also increase and your vehicle will move to a new category. This must be reported to the IRS and the applicable tax must be paid
- You need to file Form 2290 amended return by the last day of the month following the month in which the taxable gross weight increased
- Use our HVUT tax calculator to calculate the additional tax amount by entering the ‘first used’ month and new gross weight of the vehicle.
- If the taxable gross weight increases in July after you have filed your Form 2290, you need to report a new 2290 amendment form for the additional tax due.
Amended return for mileage exceeded suspended vehicles
If you own a suspended vehicle for which the mileage has exceeded 5,000 miles limit (or 7,500 for agricultural vehicles), you need to pay tax by the last day of the month following the month in which the mileage use limit was exceeded
For example, Chris has a suspended vehicle whose mileage limit exceeded in the month of August. So Chris needs to file an amended Form 2290 by the last day of September.
Once the amended file is submitted, you will receive a corrected & stamped schedule 1 copy with the VIN and other details on your registered email address once the IRS processes your amended return
Amended return for VIN correction
If you’ve filed a form that has the incorrect VIN number, you can file an amended return with the correct VIN details specified on it. If you are e-filing through eForm2290, you can carry out free VIN correction for your previously submitted form 2290. You will receive a new stamped Schedule 1 copy within minutes.
How to file an amended return online?
If you want to make 2290 corrections to the previously filed returns, follow the below instructions:
- Log in to your eForm2290 account using your registered email address and password.
- On the next page, click on “Make an amendment to an existing filing”
- Choose the business to which you want to make amendment to from the dropdown list. You can also add a new business if it isn’t on the list. Click on the “start e-filing” button.
- Choose the month and year when you first used your truck and specify whether you’re filing a final return.
- Select the type of amendment you want to do: Vin correction, Taxable Gross Weight Increase or Mileage Exceeded
- Enter the new details you want to update along with additional information as specified on the webpage.
- Review the details thoroughly and click on the ‘IRS payment’ button
- Choose the mode of payment ( EFW/ EFTPS /Check or money order) and pay the tax amount.
How to paper file an amended return?
If you’ve already filed your form 2290, the same rules apply while filing Form 2290 amendment.
The only extra step is to check the ‘Amended Return’ box. You must check the box only if:
- You are reporting additional tax from an increase in taxable gross vehicle weight
- You are reporting a suspended vehicle exceeding the mileage use limit.
For VIN correction, tick the adjacent “VIN Correction” box. Once all the information is filled in, review the form once and mail it to the IRS.
IF you are including a check or money order, mail the form to:
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 932500, Louisville,
If you are not including a payment, you can mail the form to:
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Ogden, UT 84201-0031
Frequently Asked Questions around IRS Amended Return
Q. What is a Form 2290 amendment month?
A.The month when the change in Mileage Use Limit or the Taxable Gross Weight occurred is known as the amendment month.
Q. What vehicle categories can be amended?
A.If your vehicle is taxable, creditable or suspended, you can file an amended return for it.
Q. Can you claim credit while filing a VIN amendment?
A. No. You cannot claim other credits on the same Form 2290 where you file a VIN Correction. You must have already paid for the original HVUT Form, otherwise you will be penalised for non-payment by the IRS.
E-file your HVUT Return with Eform2290
- No need to be an expert
- Get Schedule 1 in minutes
- Safe & secure data management
Filing your form 2290 amendment can be quite confusing. But not when you file with eForm2290. Our user-friendly interface and prompt services will simplify the filing process and get your new stamped schedule 1 in a matter of minutes. Start filing your amended returns today with the best e-filing service provider in the market: eForm2290.