IRS Heavy Vehicle Use Tax
If you own a truck and want to register your vehicle with the IRS, then you must file IRS 2290 form and pay heavy use tax form 2290 . HVUT (Heavy Vehicle Use Tax) is a Federal Excise Toll imposed on vehicles that operate on public highways in the US.
Any truck that weighs 55,000 pounds or more are subjected to this form 2290 highway vehicle use tax return. form 2290 toll is collected annually and is used for the construction and maintenance of public highways in the US. Hence, the form 2290 heavy highway vehicle use tax return is important for the development of the country.
Other terms for referring HVUT also include heavy duty tax online, form 2290 heavy vehicle tax, form 2290 , form 2290 heavy highway vehicle use tax return, heavy vehicle use tax form, heavy use tax form 2290 , Truck Tax and Highway Vehicle Tax.
Paying Heavy Weight Vehicle form 2290 :
The form 2290 must be paid and heavy use tax form 2290 must be filed by anyone who:
|Owns a truck or vehicle with an estimated weight of 55,000 pounds or more must file form 2290 and pay the HVUT form 2290
|LLCs must file form 2290 heavy highway vehicle use tax return
|Corporations and organizations are subjected to form 2290 heavy highway vehicle use tax return
|Partnerships must also pay form 2290 heavy highway vehicle use tax return
|Charitable organizations, non-profit organizations or educational organizations fall under the organizations listed above and must file 2290 heavy duty toll
Different Ways to File form 2290
You can file IRS heavy use tax form 2290 and pay form 2290 returns by any of the following methods:
IRS suggests the truckers file form 2290 online since it is much easier, secure, and faster than paper filing. Not only this, but the paper filing of form 2290 HVUT return also requires you to manually mail your returns to the IRS office, where you have to make an appointment with the IRS office and wait in the queue just to pay your 2290 heavy-duty tolls. Additionally, when you file your form 2290 online, you will get your stamped Schedule 1 copy of highway vehicles within 15 minutes of IRS acceptance, but for paper filing of form 2290 HVUT return, IRS schedule 1 copy will take about 5-45 days to receive your copy.
Stamped IRS Schedule 1 Copy of Highway Vehicles for HVUT form 2290
When you file form 2290 online and pay your IRS heavy-duty toll online via credit card, debit card, EFW or EFTPS, the IRS receives the payment information and verifies it with the database for form 2290 highway vehicle use toll return. After the verification of your highway use tax form 2290 , you will be sent an email with your stamped Schedule of highway vehicles copy of form 2290 return.
Importance of Schedule 1 copy of Highway Vehicles for Heavy Duty Tax Online
IRS schedule 1 copy of highway vehicles for form 2290 dues online is proof of payment for your hefty vehicle tax form. This online Schedule 1 copy of highway vehicles will have important information like the date on which your form 2290 was received and processed by the IRS.
This IRS toll online Schedule 1 copy of highway vehicles will also have the stamped IRS e-file logo to serve as proof for form 2290 HVUT returns. This heavy-duty toll online Schedule 1 copy of highway vehicles watermark will be displayed in the electronic copy of schedule 1 of highway vehicles of your tax form 2290 and is approved by all DMVs, DOTs and other federal agencies. This Schedule 1 copy of highway vehicles is important to renew your vehicles tags by the DMV.
Importance of Schedule 1 Copy of Highway Vehicles for Truckers
For companies with 25 or more trucks that are subject to pay highway toll online, the IRS requires these businesses to file IRS form 2290 electronically and an extra sheet of the schedule 1 copy of highway vehicles should also be attached along with HVUT form 2290 .
Heavy-duty toll online Schedule 1 of highway vehicles is proof of payment by the IRS to imply that they have received your heavy use tax form 2290 and processed the heavy duty tollonline. It is a watermarked copy that you will get once your hefty weight vehicle tax form is accepted by the IRS. Schedule 1 copy of highway vehicles for form 2290 will take about 5-45 days for paper filing of form 2290 HVUT and when you e-file form 2290 , it will generally be mailed and/or faxed to you within 15 minutes after IRS approval of your HVUT form 2290 returns.
Filing IRS 2290 Form for Heavy Vehicle Online & its Advantages
- The smooth and effective functioning of e-filing of form 2290 decreases the preparation and processing errors when filing form 2290 .
- Access and file your heavy use tax form 2290 from anywhere, using your laptop or computer, even when you're on the highway
- Receive the copy of your heavy duty toll online stamped Schedule of highway vehicles in just a few minutes after IRS accepts your submissions for heavy weight vehicle tax form
- You can use the free VIN correction function that most heavy-duty toll online e-filing services of form 2290 HVUT give to correct VIN filing errors that you may have committed when filing heavy-duty toll online. The amended, corrected copy of Schedule 1 of highway vehicles for form 2290 will be accessible in minutes for heavyweight vehicle toll form
- Make any adjustments to mileage and gross weight if you have committed a mistake when filing form 2290 HVUT on your heavy-duty tax online; even after you submit your 2290 form online.
- Avoid standing in queues to file your heavyweight vehicle tax form and also save on your postage fees when filing heavyweight vehicle tax form online
- Get your Schedule of highway vehicles immediately when you file heavy use tax form 2290 and pay heavy highway toll online
Requirements to File IRS 2290 Form Heavy Vehicle Online
Filing heavy duty toll online is simple and efficient and you need these:
- The EIN (Employer Identification Number) and VIN (Vehicle Information Number)
- Name and address of your trucking business
- The gross weight of the vehicle
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for form 2290
The vehicle identification number (VIN) is the distinctive identifying code for that particular vehicle. The VIN functions as the fingerprint of the car, this is because no two vehicles in service will have the same VIN. The VIN consists of 17 characters that include both numbers and capital letters and act as a unique identifier for that vehicle or truck.
A VIN shows the distinctive characteristics of the truck and other specifications along with the manufacturer's name. The VIN can be used for registrations, pay heavy highway toll online, thefts and warranty claims, track recalls and insurance coverage. This VIN number is very important when filing heavy weight vehicle tax form online and pay heavy highway tax online. The VIN number will be mentioned in the Schedule of highway vehicles of your 2290 heavy duty form.
Employer Identification Number (EIN) to Pay form 2290 Online
The Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as the Federal Tax Identification Number or the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). Employer Identification Number is a unique nine-digit number that is assigned by the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) to the US-based businesses.
The EIN is usually used for the purposes of identification of that business and for filing heavyweight vehicle tax form. When the EIN is used for identification and not for employment toll reporting, like pay heavy highway toll online, then it is usually referred to as a Taxpayer Identification Number or TIN. But when this number is used for reporting employment tolls, like the form 2290 HVUT, then it is usually referred to as an EIN.
The EIN is used mostly for tax administration like form 2290 HVUT toll and ergo must be not used for any other uses, like in excise lien auction or sales, lotteries and more. This nine-digit number is very important when filing heavy weight vehicle tax form. This EIN number is printed on the Schedule of highway vehicles and please pay extra attention when filing your heavy weight vehicle tax form.
Taxable Gross Weight to Pay form 2290 Online
Taxable gross weight is pivotal when filing heavy weight vehicle tax form and therefore extra attention must be paid when calculating and filling the taxable gross weight for filing form 2290 HVUT. The taxable gross weight of a vehicle to pay heavy highway toll online is the total of:
- The real unloaded weight of the car or truck fully fitted for operation
- The real unloaded weight of any semi-trailer or trailer that is fully fitted and used in conjunction with the truck
- The weight of the maximum load that can be carried customarily on the vehicle or truck and on any trailer or semitrailer that are used in combination with the vehicle customarily.
A truck or vehicle's actual unloaded weight is the vehicle's empty weight. Fully equipped for service refers to:
- The body that is designed irrespective to transport cargo like concrete mixer
- All the fittings and accessories
- All equipment attached to or carried on the truck or heavy vehicle for use in its maintenance and/or operation
- A full supply of fuel, water, and oil
The term, however, does not include the driver, any equipment (excluding the body of the truck) that is mounted on or attached to the vehicle; for use in protecting, handling or preserving cargo; or any other special fitting and equipment like a crane, air compressor or specialized oilfield equipment.
Calculating IRS Taxable Gross Weight to Pay form 2290 Online
The IRS heavy use form 2290 is imposed on any heavy vehicle or truck weighing 55,000 pounds or more. These vehicles have to be registered and are subjected to pay heavyweight vehicle tax forms. The heavy use tax form 2290 toll amount also relies on the gross weight of that vehicle. We can assist you if you're a truck owner who is confused about filing HVUT form 2290 and calculating the toll amount for filing heavy weight vehicle tax form online and pay heavy highway toll online. Here is our IRS form 2290 tax online calculator to help you, click here for filing form 2290 and pay heavy highway toll online. You can refer to the below table to understand the tax slabs.This will help you in form 2290 tax calculation.
How Much Does It Cost To File form 2290 ?
|Taxable Gross Weight
||IRS form 2290 Tax Amount to pay
|Less than 55000 lbs
|55000 to 75000 lbs
||$100 ( $22 will be added for each pound above 55000 lbs)
|Above 75000 lbs
Payment of IRS 2290 Form Heavy Vehicle Online
The heavy weight vehicle tax form is applicable on any truck or heavy vehicle weighing 55,000 pounds or more and being used for 5,000 miles or more. By visiting the IRS office, you can pay heavy weight vehicle tax form via paper filing or you can file 2290 form heavy vehicle online. You can pay your heavy duty dues by credit or debit card, EFW or EFTPS if you choose to file form 2290 online.
Credit/Debit Card to Pay form 2290
You can choose to use your credit or debit card when you pay the form 2290 online. If you choose to pay your heavy weight vehicle tax form using this approach, the third party supplier will charge a convenience fee for processing payment for 2290 heavy duty. This additional charge is your payment processor's processing fee when you file heavy weight vehicle tax form and pay heavy highway toll online. Use Credit or Debit link to pay IRS heavy duty tax online using your debit or credit card.
Electronic Fund Withdrawal (EFW) to Pay form 2290
EFW or Electronic Funds Withdrawal is an integrated online payment option offered when you file your heavy weight vehicle tax form and pay heavy highway toll online using a toll preparation software or a tax professional. This payment method can be used when you want to submit one or more payment requests from your bank account for filing heavy highway form 2290 and pay heavy highway toll online. When you use Electronic Funds Withdrawal and file your IRS form 2290 heavy highway vehicle use toll return online and pay hefty highway tax online, you will not incur any extra charges. You are also not required to submit a voucher since this is an electronic mode of payment when filing for heavy highway form 2290 and pay hefty highway toll online.
EFW Bank Transactions for IRS form 2290 Heavy Vehicle Use Tax:
- EFW authorizes the U.S. Department of the Treasury, via a Treasury Financial Agent, to transfer the amount that is specified from your bank to the Treasury’s account when making payment for hefty highway form 2290 online
- 'IRS USA Tax Pymt', 'IRS USA Tax Payment' or something similar will be reflected in your bank statement. This will act as proof of payment of heavy highway form 2290 tolls to the IRS.
- Pay highway toll online on a weekend or on a federal holiday, then the deduction of the payment for 2290 heavy-duty will occur on the next business day. In such situations, your bank may put a hold on these funds and consider it as a Pending Transaction for your heavy highway form 2290 online
- The payment will be done in one transaction when you make payment for hefty highway form 2290 . There is no option for recurring or partial payments to pay hefty highway toll online.
Features of Electronic Payment for form 2290 Heavy Vehicle Use Tax Online
- When you e-file your form 2290 heavy vehicle use tax, the money is usually deducted from the account within the next day or two. But if the payments for 2290 heavy duty are done on the weekend or on federal holidays for your hefty highway form 2290 , there may be a slight delay in the deduction of the money.
- The service is usually free when you do an online transaction for hefty highway form 2290 and pay hefty highway toll online (But please re-confirm with your financial institution about any additional fees that may be charged for filling form 2290 HVUT)
- The payment information to pay highway toll and filing hefty highway form 2290 is absolutely safe and secure with eForm2290. It will be used only for the tax payment(s) authorized by you for 2290 heavy-duty filing and pay highway toll
- All the bank information you provide for filing hefty highway form 2290 and pay highway toll in eForm2290 is protected.
- The payment information in eForm2290 you provide to pay highway toll will not be disclosed for any reason except for processing the authorized payment transactions you have approved for filing hefty highway form 2290
- To pay highway t0ll and file form 2290 HVUT, the electronic payment will be settled on the date of the return or the day the hefty highway form 2290 is filed. After the due date of filing hefty highway form 2290 and pay highway toll, the effective date for EFW payments would be the date the hefty vehicle use tax form or form 2290 hefty highway vehicle use dues return is successfully transmitted
- To pay the HVUT using EFW method, you will have to provide the financial institution’s routing transit number and the account number. Re-verify with your financial institution about these numbers when making payment for HVUT form and pay highway toll. Select the type of account (savings or current) and the amount that has to be paid for your 2290 form vehicle and pay 2290 hefty duty toll
- EFW payments to pay highway toll cannot be initiated after the HVUT or 2290 hefty duty HVUT return is filed.
EFTPS to Pay form 2290 at eForm220
An integrated online payment option, EFTPS or Electronic Funds Withdrawal is available when you choose to file your IRS hefty duty tax online and pay highway tax. Most third party 2290 heavy duty e-file service providers, like a toll professional or toll preparation software, offer this as a payment option when filing the IRS hefty highway vehicle use tax return online and pay highway toll. You won’t incur any additional charges if you choose to pay your heavyweight vehicle tax form online using this method.
The Department of the Treasury US offers the EFTPS or Electronic Federal Tax Payment System as a free service when filing the hefty vehicle use tax form and pay highway tax. Many individuals, federal agencies, 2290 hefty duty tax professionals, businesses and other payroll services use the EFTPS to pay hefty highway toll online. This EFTPS can be used to pay the federal tolls like filing the form 2290 and pay highway toll. But if you choose to pay the IRS heavy duty toll online using this method, then you need to enroll and receive the credentials. You must enroll using the EFTPS tax payment service when filing hefty vehicle use tax form.
You can click Login here and follow the steps mentioned to pay HVUT form federal tax using this method. After the IRS validates the information provided by you for your heavy vehicle use tax form, you will receive a PIN (Personal Identification Number) in your mail within 5 to 7 business days when you decide to pay highway toll. You can make the payments using these methods for your 2290 hefty duty and pay highway tax - voice response system (1800-555-3453), via payroll services or website, tax professionals and financial institutions. Choose the EFTPS to pay 2290 heftyduty for secure, accurate and quick service that is available online 24 hours a day or even using a phone, all 7 days a week when filing form 2290 online. Alternatively, you can also schedule a business payment of your heavyweight vehicle tax form tax and pay highway toll in advance of up to 120 days or individual payment up to 365 days in advance.
IRS Use Tax Heavy Highway form 2290 Due Date
If you are a trucker in the United States of America, then you are subjected to the 2290 heavy-duty federal taxes and have to file heavy-duty toll online and pay highway tax using the form 2290 hefty highway vehicle use tax return every year. The current tax year for filing hefty vehicle use tax form and pay highway tax extends from 01 July 2020 and extends till 30 June 2021. If you are a registered hefty highway vehicle owner owning a vehicle with a gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more in your name that is registered with the IRS, then you must file IRS heavy highway form 2290 and pay hefty highway toll online. If you’ve used your vehicle for the first time in the current month of the tax year, then IRS toll online must be filed within the last day of the following month. When you file your hefty vehicle use tax form and pay highway toll with eForm2290, you will receive your schedule of highway vehicles in a few minutes after IRS accepts your tax filings. Same rules apply irrespective of whether you’re paying the 2290 hefty vehicle toll or reporting the suspension of tolls of your tax form.
The form 2290 tax Amendment of heavy vehicle use tax form is a part of IRS form 2290 tax form that is used to make changes or correct the previously filed returns of 2290 heavy duty.
You can use the form 2290 tax Amendment of heavy vehicle use tax form during these scenarios: when there is a change in the taxable gross weight and an additional 2290 heavy duty toll must be paid and when the suspended vehicles exceed the mileage use limit of 2290 heavy duty.
VIN Corrections of 2290 Form
Making an error when filing the IRS hefty highway form 2290 and paying 2290 hefty tax is common. One of the most common mistakes made while filing hefty vehicle use tax form tax is entering incorrect VIN in the 2290 form application. If you have committed an error when filling your VIN number on hefty vehicle use tax form, we can help you. At eForm2290, we offer free VIN corrections for the 2290 form. You can file your 2290 heavy-duty Amendment for VIN correction at eForm2290 free of cost for your 2290 form.
Here are the steps to file VIN Correction Amendment for 2290 Form
Log in to your eForm2290 account you used to file form 2290 heavy vehicle tax
- Click on 'Start Amendment'
- Select your business from the drop down option
- Start e-filing by entering details like tax period and more
- Click on 'Start Now' under form 2290 VIN correction section
- Select the Reference Number from the drop down
- Enter the correct VIN number to amend the form 2290
- Submit by clicking on the 'e-File Correct to VIN'
Cancellations, Errors, and Questions:
- You cannot make any changes on your form 2290 tax regarding information pertaining to your payment, like account information, payment amount or date once the 2290 form return is accepted. But you can cancel the payment for your form 2290 tax and choose another payment method if the form 2290 HVUT requires any changes
- If you have any doubts or want to report any problems when filing 2290 form, you can call the IRS e-file Payment Services at 1-888-353-4537. You can also use this number to report problems such as bank closures, closed bank accounts, lost or stolen bank account numbers or unauthorized transactions when filing 2290 form. You need to wait for 7 to 10 days after the form 2290 tax return is accepted before contacting the IRS to inquire about your payment of 2290 form. Customer service is available round the clock for 2290 form heavy vehicle returns
- Cancellation requests for form 2290 tax must be received by the IRS no later than 11:59 p.m. ET, two business days prior to the scheduled payment date of your 2290 form.
- If payment for 2290 form is returned by your financial institution (e.g., closed account, due to insufficient funds, incorrect account information, etc.), the IRS will mail a notification letter to the address you’ve provided on file, explaining why the payment could not be processed and providing alternate payment options for your 2290 form . For any queries when filing 2290 form , please call 1-888-353-4537
- In the event your financial institution is unable to process your payment request for 2290 form , you are responsible for making other payment arrangements, and for any penalties and interest incurred in case of failure of 2290 form returns
- Contact the IRS immediately at1-800-829-1040 if there is an error in the amount withdrawn when filing your 2290 form returns
- In the event Treasury withdraws an incorrect amount of funds from your bank account for form 2290 hefty highway vehicle use tax return, Treasury will return the improperly deducted amount
IRS 2290 Form Heavy Vehicle Refunds
If your vehicle or a truck was sold, stolen or destroyed during the tax period, then you can claim a form 2290 tax refund electronically for your form 2290 hefty highway vehicle use tax return. On the next IRS form 2290 tax application you file in the same or subsequent tax period, you can claim a credit for the toll paid on your form 2290 tax. Alternatively, in Form 8849, Schedule 6, Other Claims, you can also claim a form 2290 tax refund of the toll paid for your form 2290 refund for heavy highway vehicle use tax return. The amount of form 2290 tax refund will rely on when the truck was stolen, sold or destroyed for your form 2290 hefty highway vehicle use tax return.
But if you have already paid the form 2290 refund HVUT return on a truck that has been used for less than 5,000 miles, you can claim a credit for the next tax period on the first form 2290 . Another option for form 2290 tax is on Form 8849, Schedule 6, Other Claims, where you can claim a refund of the toll paid for your form 2290 hefty highway vehicle use tax return. However, it is impossible to file a form 2290 toll credit or form 2290 tax claim for this refund until the next tax period. A credit, reduced toll, refund or exemption for an occasional light or reduced load, discontinued or changed use of a vehicle is not permitted for form 2290 hefty highway vehicle tax return.