File the way you like it
File on your own or get assistance from our customer service representatives. It's your choice.
Our ratings are a reflection of your trust
eForm2290 is trusted by trucking professionals like you and we take pride in keeping the trucking community ahead.NaNNaN
Insights from the industry
Stay up to date with everything that’s happening in the trucking industry.
Frequently asked questions
Yes you have to pay road tax for your new truck. You have to file 2290 heavy use tax whether you bought a brand new commercial motor vehicle or a used one. The HVUT 2290 tax was created to help fund road repairs caused by trucks and heavy transportation.
Therefore it is important to file your road tax 2290 and pay the HVUT tax for the new truck within the following month of purchase
For example, if you bought or used a truck for the first time in June 2022, you must file the road tax 2290 to the IRS by the end of July 2022. Failing to file 2290 on time may lead to penalties.
The federal tax form used to file HVUT ( Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax) is Form 2290. This 2290 tax form is often referred to as road tax or truck tax as well
IRS Form 2290 filing starts from July 1 to June 30. Make sure you submit your file to file Your IRS Form 2290 by August 31st to avoid late penalties.
If you are not running your truck, you still have to file your HVUT Form 2290. HVUT filing is simple on eform2290.com So whether the truck is running or not, one must file form 2290 to the IRS if it has a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more. However, if the truck has not crossed 5,000 miles (7,500 miles for agricultural vehicles) in a given tax period, it will be exempt from paying taxes. Make sure you file your heavy vehicle use tax before the season is over to avoid penalties.
The HVUT Form 2290 tax filing starts from July 2022
- You can file form 2290 by end of August 2022
- Post-August, the IRS charges late filing fees
- There is a 4.5% late charge on overall tax + 0.5% monthly interests
- E Filing services like ours make filing your 2290 truck tax quick and easy
If you forgot to make your HVUT payment before the deadline, there is a 4.5% late charge on overall tax + 0.5% monthly interests. You can avoid late payments for your 2290 heavy use tax by filing within the filing window.
Yes, you can claim a refund on your Heavy Vehicle Use Tax from the IRS.
- One, if you paid excess tax to the IRS on your Heavy Highway Vehicle
- When your truck has not crossed over 5000 miles in the previous tax period.
- When your truck is sold, stolen or destroyed in previous & current period
- You can use Form 2290 to claim your refund
Yes, eForm2290.com is an IRS-authorized IRS Form 2290 e-file service provider
- eForm2290.com has been helping truckers and tax professionals to file 2290 safely online for over 10 years
- 200k+ safe 2290 e-filing and still counting. File your 2290 highway tax with us for quick and easy tax filing.
eForm2290.com is an IRS-authorized e-file provider which ensures safe 2290 filing
- CCPA compliant which reflects data security
- Easy 3-step 2290 filing. Register, enter truck details, and submit heavy vehicle use tax (HVUT)
- 1-step quick re-filing for existing VINs
- Free VIN correction
- Free Form 2290 correction in case of rejection in the submitted return